Sunday 20 April 2014

Happy Easter!

Warning:  This is a kind-of serious post with no pictures.  I am very, very sorry.  I like words, a lot.

If the Facebook updates or "#eastersundayselfie's" haven't informed you by now, let me do the honour.  Today is Easter Sunday.  Easter, a word that has a random flurry of connotations stuck along with it.  Brightly coloured eggs, chocolate, bunnies? Crosses?  I mean, really what does this all have in common?  What is Easter all about?

When I questioned my four year old little sister, asking her what Easter was all about, she told me, "I don't know.  I've never done these things before!"  I'm not going to lie, that kid kind of cracks me up.  Obviously, her three previous Easters hadn't left a lasting impression and she still wasn't quite sure what this whole holiday thing signified.

We all know there's more to Easter than letting ourselves go and having a few extra pieces of chocolate along with our tea.  More than just a new dress to wear.  More than a nice, little excuse for a couple of weeks off school.  More, more, more.

I think for some reason, it's uncomfortable for us all to think that somebody actually died for us and there's nothing we can possibly do to repay them.  It's very uncomfortable in fact.  We all like to feel self-sufficent.  Independent.  The realisation, that our future is dependent on someone who we can't manipulate, is well, kind of scary.  Not only are we faced with this fact on a regular basis but there is an entire holiday in celebration of it.

So, in light of this, we try to make Easter a little more 'comfortable' by spending our time instagramming our easter eggs, taking selfies in our new clothes, or proclaiming the Easter bunny the face of Easter.  Either that, or we adorn ourselves in our Sunday best and go to church, so we can enjoy a guilt free Easter season.

The truth of the matter is, there is no reason to feel guilty on Easter, or any other day on the calender because, someone did die for us and we can not repay that person but that person did not die, so we could feel awkward once or twice a year around Christmas and Easter.  This person died so we could live GUILT-FREE lives full of purpose, joy and hope.  Just to clarify this person's name is Jesus.

As I write this post in my new Easter dress, whilst listening to the Civil Wars using the little red pair of headphones I found laying in my Easter basket, I'm thankful for the Easter surprise that beats Cadbury's Easter eggs hands down!  Happy Easter!